Houston, TX asked in Car Accidents and Wrongful Death for Texas

Q: How can I find about out of court settlement on a wrongful death case that happened thirty years ago?

we need to get hold of the case file on a thirty year old out of court settlement on a wrongful death case. All I have is the name of the deceased. Could someone please point me in the right direction as to where I start? hank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: That's going back quite a way. A Texas attorney is really the one who would know about navigation through the Texas court system in terms of retrieving records. But your question remains open for a month. As a general practice in most unified court systems, one could check if any records come up online. If by out-of-court you mean it was placed into suit and settled before trial, court systems throughout the nation have cases referenced by their index numbers. If by out-of-court you mean suit was never filed, it could be more difficult. You could contact a Texas attorney for a quick consultation if your cursory investigation doesn't yield any results. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.