Punta Gorda, FL asked in Criminal Law and Immigration Law for Florida

Q: Have a possession of marijuana for 2 grams, doing PTI. Will I get deported even if I've have a green card for 8 years?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin D. Slattery Esq.
Kevin D. Slattery Esq.
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Generally a PTI in the State of Florida, wherein I see from your post you are located, can be a good disposition in a controlled substance related case so as to avoid negative immigration consequences. I would warn you, however, that in analyzing a Texas PTI case, the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) in 2017 came to a conclusion under the specific facts and procedural history of that case that the person's entry into the PTI program still qualified as a conviction for immigration purposes. If you were to be considered convicted as contemplated by immigration law (not by criminal law per se), then it may carry negative immigration consequences if not under Immigration & Nationality Act (INA) 237 (grounds of deportability), then under INA 212 (grounds of inadmissibility) if you were to take a trip outside of the U.S. and then attempt reentry. What you should do is schedule a consultation with a competent immigration attorney who can evaluate your PTI against the standards laid out in the aforementioned BIA case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.