Saint Augustine, FL asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Florida

Q: In FL, how can I win the most timesharing with my 2 yr old son? I am about to get started with a divorce and want my son

In FL, they do "timesharing" and I have seen things that say what the courts consider when making those decisions. What i am wanting to know is how can I get enough timesharing that the child lives with me and I am not on child support? I want the mother to have visitation but ultimately the child living with me? I am also active duty sailor

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Sorry, but unless you can find a circuit court judge in your area who is willing to give you full custody you will probably never be able to avoid paying some reasonable amount of child support to the mother of your child. FYI, judges rarely award full custody to either parent--unless there is some obvious compelling reason to do so--such as the other parent being incarcerated or otherwise completely unable to care for their child.

Judges rarely deny visitation to either parent; and in many cases parents can be awarded "joint custody, where they split the time 50-50. However, there have been very rare cases where the mother makes significantly more money than the father, and so neither side pays child support to the other. That is the best you can hope for.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.