Albertville, AL asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Alabama

Q: I was arrested in May 2018 for stealing almost 3000 dollars from my job.

I still don't have a court date. I paid it all back in full and even wrote an apology letter to the CEO. This is my first offense. Is it possible for me to just receive probation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Jaksa
William Jaksa
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Toronto

A: Receiving just 'probation' means that you were convicted of an offence and that was your sentence. An apology letter and paying back the money shows that you're serious and remorseful. If you want to avoid a conviction think of perhaps some community service and perhaps addressing the issues, if any, that caused you to steal. Did you steal the money to support a habit? Then addiction counselling. See my article on the need for alternative sentencing:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.