Miami Beach, FL asked in Civil Litigation, Collections and Contracts for Florida

Q: I have a roommate who has not paid rent since past at least 2 months. How can I evict her & collect back rent?

She was given an agreement next day to sign that gave all the details about rent amount, when, where and how to pay, etc. She never signed the agreement. I asked her to provide police report, she has not produced yet. I made search on internet to find that she has a criminal record of illegal weapon possession. I am concern about my safety and safety of my valuable belongings. She openly tells me that she is not going to get out. I will have to pay her to get her out! I am on limited income. I have to borrow money from friends to keep paying rent and utilities so I do not get thrown out. Please help.

2 Lawyer Answers
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Your best bet is to hire an attorney to give the notice that's legally required before you can file an eviction case, then to file the case on your behalf. No case can be filed unless the notice, in totally proper form, is given to the tenant. If you can't afford full services of an attorney, you should at least consult an attorney (in person) to get advice on everything you need to do to represent yourself.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Linda Liang
Linda Liang

A: For your safety, I would talk to the landlord and terminate the lease. The landlord can evict him with the assistance of the sheriff's office. You should find another place.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.