Columbia, MD asked in Car Accidents for Maryland

Q: Minor car wreck, police report says "charges pending". How do I find out if formal charges are ever actually filed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lee Eidelberg
Lee Eidelberg
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Towson, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Depending on the charge(s) and the jurisdiction, you could receive a notice to appear at a "preliminary inquiry," which requires one to report to a court commissioner to be formally advised of one's charges, one's right to an attorney and other pertinent information. This generally occurs when traffic citations calling for a possible jail sentence are issued. You might also receive, via mailing, a summons to appear in court on a designated date, at which time you can be served with charging documents by the State's Attorney's Office and advised of your rights by the presiding judge. You can also check the Judiciary Case Search on line, under your name, and determine if any charges against you exist. The answer to your question largely depends on the particular charge(s) that you may face.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.