Boonville, NY asked in Civil Litigation, Domestic Violence, Identity Theft and Small Claims for New York

Q: I was in a relationship with someone for 8 months he used me for money what can i do

He would say he loved me or he couldn't wait to wake up next to me every morning i have brain cancer and i loved him in july he borrowed 1,300 dollars he emotionally destroyed me he took my fight to live i was advised to take him to civil court to get my money by a state trooper he told hed pay me back and a sherriff he also told i believe he also took 200 without my knowledge he said he didnt i tried believing him but i also filed in may because he took a picture of my credit card i was going for surgery in Philadelphia when he asked me for money as i was going in for tests just a couple weeks ago what can i do i need the money my house isnt safe and i have to get out my family stopped talking to me because of him he doesn't care i need help

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: The amount involved is small claims level if you want to sue to recover. Run your credit report and put a fraud alert on it if you believe he stole your number. Notify the card companies and get new cards.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.