Blythewood, SC asked in Immigration Law for South Carolina

Q: Hello I have questions about citizenship

I am planning to apply with my son who is 9 years old.

1 - Do I have to file two different applications ( one for him and one for myself)? with different fees?

2 - How much do I have to pay for both of us?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Allen C. Ladd
Allen C. Ladd
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Greenville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Assuming you and he are both US permanent residents, then my answer is:

* You apply for naturalization (citizenship). Filing fee is $725.

* When you are approved, then your child will automatically become a US citizen.

* He will then apply for a Certificate of Citizenship ... or you could try applying directly for a US passport for him, without the Certificate. Much less expensive and much faster,

* Either way, follow instructions at for the certificate (including filing fee info) or google "US passport instructions" for the latter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.