Aliquippa, PA asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Business Law and Collections for Pennsylvania

Q: Help!

My electric bill has been unusually high, so I called them. They informed me I had a 3rd party supplier on my bill I was unaware of. I called said 3rd party and they informed me that I had added them to my account last summer. Going through the details it came across that my sister had given them my name and address which signed me up, she used her email which is how I knew it was her. But now the first 12 months at their “low price” is over and I’m being charged DOUBLE what I normally pay. They allowed my sister to sign me up without any type of ID, verification that she lived at this address or even a simple phone call to make sure I allowed the changes. They said that doing so is completely legal and they don’t need permission from anyone to make changes too my bill. Is this correct or should I be doing something? They offered a credit but it’s been two months now and I’m still paying on the balance owed to them from these changes and it has added up to much more than the credits $.

1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Savett
Adam Savett
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Allentown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: I would suggest you file a complaint with the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission.

Here is a link to resources on the process and directions on how to file a complaint:

Note that the PUC specifically suggests you file an informal complaint first for the situation you have described.

Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.