Shawnee, OK asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Native American Law for Oklahoma

Q: Can someone be arrested for trespassing if he lives in our deceased mother's house?

Shawnee police officer entered my brother's residence while he was asleep on the couch and woke him up. They said that someone reported an a/b taking place in his yard. They asked him to come outside then arrested him for public intoxication and trespassing. He was told that he couldn't reside at the residence since the property is still in our mother's name and because she was deceased.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.