Pittsford, NY asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for New York

Q: Is this impersonating an officer?

So I got a mustang that is outfitted like a police car, but none of the lights are functional and there is no siren. It says police on the side however it has no markings for a state or county. It is a replica of the transformers 5 mustang police. It's basically a show car. I drove it and got pulled over for the tint. The officer said he cut me a break because I could get arrested for impersonating an officer. I don't know how its impersonating an officer when I'm not performing any traffic stops or conducting police work. Also there is nothing on the car that ties it to the state or any city. So can I end up being arrested and charged with impersonating an officer for driving it? Thanks for your time

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Aubrey Claudius Galloway
Aubrey Claudius Galloway
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Scarsdale, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You are not likely to be charged with impersonating an officer unless you were clearly acting like a jack ass and doing so, however, I can see cops taking offense to this and pulling you over/possibly arresting you.

You say it is a show car so make it that. With regards to the tints, that something that will keep on getting you pulled over so you might want to legalize that up if you’re going to be driving the vehicle a lot



Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.