Idaho City, ID asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for New York

Q: My husband and sister-in-law inherited a property in Jefferson New York. Need to foreclose, who would be a good lawyer?

Sold property in 2005 on 30 year contract to family member and his wife. Received payments until 2008, and then had several payment in default. Between 2005 and 2008 Mortgagees took out home equity loan with bank. Paper was signed to allow this to happen. Later on they apparently needed more money, and went to Citi so they could pay off the home equity and have 50K. Some how Citi assumed first was paid off and loaned money. In 2013 Mortgagees separated and eventually got divorced and no payments were made since 2013. Court awarded property to family member and he agreed to pay mortgage. Again, no money since 2013. Citi sold their interest by Quick Claim, and now we need to foreclose and not sure who to use. Sister-in-law resident of New York where property is located and my husband is resident of Idaho.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You may have statute of limitations problems. Depends on the payments and documents in these deals. Search this site for a foreclosure lawyer in the area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.