Mount Pleasant, TX asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Arkansas

Q: I have recieved a code 18-60-304 demanding I leave in 3 days but can not. If I'm not out by the end of the 3 days isnt

That when the sheriff will be called and he will put a 3 day vacate notice? I can be out by then just not the original 3 days posted by apartment complex

1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick R. Lee
Patrick R. Lee
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: This notice is simply the first step a landlord must complete before they file a lawsuit in Court to have you evicted. The sheriff can not and will not do anything until they have a writ of execution from the Court, which is the document that commands the sheriff to forcibly remove you from the apartment. The notice they gave you is the only one they are required to give before filing the eviction lawsuit.

If you are already planning to vacate, I would contact your landlord and tell them you are planning to leave and there's no need to file the eviction suit (called an unlawful detainer).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.