Litchfield Park, AZ asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Real Estate Law for Arizona

Q: I am a surety for a property bond for my brother in a criminal case in federal court. I need help with a Bond Forfeiture

My brother has been sentenced and is serving his time currently. He was released on bail in 3/2019 and had no issues until a dirty drug test. He was required to appear before the judge and surrender earlier then his original surrender date in his sentencing. The court then exonerated the bond. The us attorneys office has filed a motion to reverse the release of the bond as clerical error and forfeit due to the dirty drug test. I am located in Arizona and the court is in California. Does the excessive fine law fit in this equation of 75,000.00 fit for use of drugs while on bail (he passed all of them for 2 months prior) and requested a drug program in court as he admitted to having a problem and was granted his request. 2nd question would be how can I find cases specific to bond Forfeiture to reference in my opposition to the court?

1 Lawyer Answer
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: You need to retain a lawyer in the federal district where the forfeiture occurred

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.