Bakersfield, CA asked in Family Law and Child Support for California

Q: Ex ordered to pay half our son’s unreimbursed medical expenses. He took off; no idea whereabouts. Next step?

He pays monthly child support; deducted from paycheck. I found him on Facebook and sent him copy of son’s hospital bill; been 35 days and zero response. Is he in Contempt of Court? What are my next steps? Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: If the insurance is State funded, you can contact the Attorney General to enforce the Court Order. Otherwise, you need to hire a lawyer to file a Motion to Enforce the Child Support Order. He can be served out of State with the Motion to Enforce. Eventually, the Court could hold him in contempt. But my experience has been the Court's will afford him an opportunity to bring himself into compliance before finding him in contempt.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.