Morrisville, NC asked in Consumer Law and Collections for North Carolina

Q: If there is a judgement against me and a creditor places a lien on my property, can they force me to sell?

After a very lengthy unemployment following a layoff, I fell behind with a Bank of America credit card. They keep assigning it out to different collection agencies - it's on the third or fourth now. The debt is now two years old but they are still attempting to collect and being almost $29,000 I'm almost certain they will sue before the statute of limitations is up in another year (or so).

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paige Kurtz
Paige Kurtz
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Any property that is in your name can be seized by the sheriff and sold to satisfy the judgment. This is not a private sale, but an auction. There are many steps that have to be completed before the creditor gets to this point and you may have exemptions available to you that might protect the property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.