Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

North Carolina Consumer Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Consumer Law for North Carolina on

Q: I received a check for $500 as a gift from a friend that I know just went through bankruptcy.

The friend has a 5013c nonprofit corporation. It appears to still be active when I searched on business entities on the sos but I'm not sure if the bankruptcy was personal or for the business. Are there implications if I cash the check?

Timothy Denison answered on Aug 14, 2019


1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for North Carolina on

Q: I sold a camper using Craigslist, I was paid in full. The buyer did not take the title and has not come back

It has been well over one month. They have not contacted me and I cannot reach them on the number they provided. They had originally planned to bring me a cashier's check and pick up the trailer and title that day but instead paid by personal check. They were supposed to come back on the weekend,... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Aug 14, 2019

One month is NOT enough time. FYI: Most Americans have "put things on layaway" for more than a month. Whatever your obligations may be they do not include selling the camper again--at least not until you have truly exhausted all possible ways to locate the honest buyer. Go get a copy of his... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for North Carolina on

Q: I went to a restaurant like fast food. I had a coupon for what I ordered and was told the price with the coupon I handed

Over my card and was charged another price which overdraft my account. I went back the next day and told them some of the employees through insults my way and the supervisor took my card to process the refund. 2 weeks passed no refund contacted them again and the manager states for me to bring my... Read more »

Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 28, 2019

Contact your card company and ask if they could assist in the matter so that you won't need to give your card out again. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Consumer Law for North Carolina on

Q: Took my 2002 vehicle to the auto repair shop and they created a car fire inside the car. Can I sue for more than value?

It's a 2002 Acrua RL with 129000 on it and in great shape. Their insurance wants to only give me Kelly Blue Book value for the car. The shop caused the fire inside of the car and admitted it. Now they want me to settle and I don't agree because I would have to purchase another car and make... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 11, 2019

Generally, in most states they only have to give you the retail value of the vehicle---even if that won't buy you what you lost. Check if that is so by contacting a member of the NC Assn for Justice--they give free consults.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Consumer Law for North Carolina on

Q: If I believe my bank is incompetent in handling a $60 charge back for a hotel room is there anything I can do about it?

I went to a hotel, to get a room that costs $60 per night. The hotel has a policy that there is only 15 minutes within paying to either change rooms, or ask for a refund, and makes people sign a paper stating this, and does not let people look at the rooms first before deciding to pay. In my case,... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 21, 2019

Wow. It's too bad you did not anticipate any problem when this (very cheap) hotel made you sign an agreement not to complain about their cheap rooms unless you do it immediately. In any event, there is nothing you can do to force your bank to give you the $60 that the hotel kept. Why not consider... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Family Law and Real Estate Law for North Carolina on

Q: I'm 18 in NC. My parents kicked me out without notice. Aren't they supposed to have a written notice in advance?

Long story. I pay some Bill's and am working almost full time.

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 17, 2019

Sorry, but no. The law does not require parents to give any notice to their adult children before they kick them out of the nest. You might understand why someday--when you have adult children.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation and Consumer Law for North Carolina on

Q: Can I be sued civilly for a debt to wachovia bank from 2009?

I recieved a call from a person claiming to be a part of 'Larkin mediation'. He said that I owed wachovia bank 100$ back in 2009 and that If I do not settle for 400$, I will be served and brought to court for over 2000$. When I searched their phone # I get no results for a business. They have not... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 21, 2019

This is a scam. Ignore these scammers.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Consumer Law and Contracts for North Carolina on

Q: If a lending company of student loans commits “usuary”, what law does this fall under?

Which state does the “usuary” law (s) apply? The resident’s state or the lending company ‘s state?

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 6, 2019

Penalties for usury are applicable in the resident's state. However, if the loan is usurious in the lenders state it may apply to you as well. Hire a lawyer to research it.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Consumer Law and Real Estate Law for North Carolina on

Q: I have been trying to do a short sale for over a year, after finally completed all of the process the mortgage company

Sold my loan, the new company is still affiliated with the old one, they stated that I have to start the process over, which will cause me to lose my buyer.

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 6, 2019

This new trick is becoming all too common in the mortgage lending industry. Your best bet is to hire a good real estate lawyer and have them write a very strong letter to the original lender and the new lender warning both of them that you may take legal action against both lenders if necessary to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Consumer Law, Contracts and Small Claims for North Carolina on

Q: Can I sue my owner financed mortgage lender for emotional distress for changing the original mortgage terms?

Original note was 144 payments of 550 due on the 15th monthly. I'm threatened with foreclosure all the time. He's changed my due date with no new installment agreement. I only have 4 payments left, but his balance reflects a balance of more than 3 times the amount I truly owe. I have 3 children.... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 30, 2019

It sounds like you may have uncovered a despicable collection tactic used by some individuals to steal property from borrowers who are not paying attention along the way. According to your facts, the total amount you agreed to pay (beginning nearly 12 years ago) is $79,200 ($550 times 144); and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Consumer Law for North Carolina on

Q: I had a car repossession March 2018. I've never received any notice or further documentation of an auction, receipt, etc

The only notice I ever received was how many days I have to get it back. It's been almost a year. No documentation. Nothing

Timothy Denison answered on Jan 4, 2019

It was likely sold and you have a deficiency balance against you. Check with the court to determine the status.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Traffic Tickets for North Carolina on

Q: Got a call from a collector saying I never paid a toll fine in ga from 2015, over three years ago. Never got a notice.

Never got a notice from ga dot, what are my options

Amanda Bowden Houser answered on Sep 4, 2018

It is likely a scam. Verify that you owe the toll before you even consider paying - especially if they are asking you to pay by card over the phone.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for North Carolina on

Q: Is the auto shop Midas liable for my damages and expense?

I took a car driving perfect into Midas to have spark plugs changed they changed all 6 and 1 coil. Then I drove it from NC to FL and broke down on the side of the road. I had it towed to another Midas and they said the catalytic convertors had blown and needed replacing after further inspection... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 25, 2018

I'm not hearing why or how the catalytic converters "got blown" and why you need a new engine.

In order to make a claim you will need a mechanic to say what it is that caused the damage to your vehicle. To do that someone needs to say and explain how it happened. You change 6 plugs and a...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Consumer Law for North Carolina on

Q: I ordered 100 gallons of propane gas to be delivered. The gas company delivered 283 gallons. What are my obligations ?

Jake Andrew Snider answered on Apr 19, 2018

It sounds like you've received valuable property by mistake that does not belong to you. At a minimum, you likely at least have an obligation not to use that fuel. If they request to retrieve it, then you probably need to let them do so. For absolute certainty on these questions, you should... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law and Environmental for North Carolina on

Q: My house was sprayed with the wrong chemicals for termites and now I can no longer live in my house can I sue?

Received a community grant for home repairs. General contractor hired someone to spray my house for termites. This was Oct of 2017 and I have not been able to live in my house since. The chemicals cause me to cough, wheezing, eyes watering, and headaches. Call state in it was determined the wrong... Read more »

Bill Powers answered on Mar 8, 2018

You need help from a CIVIL LAW attorney, preferably someone experienced handling Breach of Contract and Negligent Performance of a Contract legal issues.

Sorry to hear about your house!

Bill Powers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for North Carolina on

Q: I received a Civil Summons for cc debt with Wells Fargo. What should my 1st step regarding the paperwork? it is $6330.00

Will Blackton answered on Feb 15, 2018

Once a lawsuit has been commenced against you, if you fail to respond appropriately - you lose the lawsuit.

Your first step should be contacting an attorney. If you're unsure of how to find an attorney or would like an attorney to only assist you in answering a limited set of questions...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation and Collections for North Carolina on

Q: I have a judgement against me that is 3 years old. I bought a house can the creditor put a lien on my house?

Paige Kurtz answered on Feb 12, 2018

Yes. Judgments can be recorded as liens against any real property owned by the judgment debtor. If you bought a house in the same place were the judgment was entered, it is already a lien on the house.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Consumer Law and Collections for North Carolina on

Q: Are creditors required to notify defendents if they renew a default judgment?

Hey! I hadn't really expected an answer. Especially not so quickly. Thanks. So I wonder if I'm pushing my luck to ask another related question? If the default judgments, expired, or were not renewed, can the accounts that the judgments were for still be collected on, by a 2nd or 3rd, or 4th... Read more »

Paige Kurtz answered on Feb 1, 2018

If a creditor files an action to "renew" a judgment for an additional ten years, they are required to serve you pursuan to the Rules of Civil Procedure the same as with any other lawsuit. Service options are certified mail, overnight delivery service, sheriff or process server.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and International Law for North Carolina on

Q: Advice

The person who owns the Bronosonic trademark is taking money from people online for neon signs via Neon Signs in US and not shipping them out. The address they've listed on their website doesn't exist and I've tracked the IP address of their emails to China. Can you help?

Richard Sternberg answered on Jan 22, 2018

It depends on the contract. If you have the right to sue in the US, you might get a default judgment and then execute on the trademark, though that will be complicated. You might then be able to get a restraining order on the web server advertising your trademark, and then go into the Bronosonic... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for North Carolina on

Q: How many times can a judgement be renewed in nc

In 1996 I had a judgement against me for the first time from a car I purchased in 1995. I thought I would wait the 10 years and in 2006 they renewed the judgement. I was told they could do this only once so I waited another 10 years. In 2016 they served me with another judgement. Is this legal for... Read more »

Paige Kurtz answered on Jan 22, 2018

A judgment can only be renewed once for a maximum of 20 years on the judgment. An attorney would need to review the documentation filed in 2016 to see what options are available to you in terms of resolving the 3rd judgment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.