Suwanee, GA asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Florida

Q: Need info on divorce been marry for 20 yrs. 3 kids and husband cheating. took my car. i need to knkw my rights

been marry for 20 yrs. have 3 kids 18,14,and12. my husband wants a divorce. just found out that he's been seeing and now moving in with his a girl he's seeing. not giving any money nor helping with the kids. dont call the kids nor amswer our calls he comes in thw house when he wants when im working and takes things out. he doesnt want to give me my car back. i payed for that car. he has his motorcycle which he took when i was working. refuses to give me any money only pay my mortgage 837 around there. no food no nothing. i was approved for 109 ib food stamps which is not.much. i need to know what are my rights and options. he keeps threatening me. he has guns so i worry cause he gets violent when upset. i need help dont no what to do everywhere i call no one helps. I live in Polk County Fl

1 Lawyer Answer
Opal Phiona Lee
Opal Phiona Lee
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: First of all, if you feel your life is being threatened, you should go to the courthouse ASAP and file for a restraining order. You should then make contact with a divorce attorney to schedule a consultation and obtain advise specific to your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.