Wake Forest, NC asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Juvenile Law for North Carolina

Q: My nephew in PA in a bad home situation. Child Youth are doing nothing. He’s 15, what happens if he runs away!

He’s a good kid and doesn’t deserve the crap life he’s been dealt. I live in NC and want to take care of him. If it’s kept very under wraps, could we get away with it? I’m scared if she doesn’t seriously hurt him, he will hurt himself.

1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Bull
Adam Bull
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Asheville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: first, any legal action will need to be done in PA as that is where he lives. You can make a report to child protective services but it sounds like that has not effected the desired outcome.

He potentially can file to become an emancipated minor which if granted would allow him to decide where he wants to live.

If he comes to NC, you could file an action seeking custody, however you would need to establish that both bioligical parents are unfit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.