Miami, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: I’m seeking to modify suspension of timesharing

I’m a mother of 3. In 2013 I was legally divorced from my children’s father and I had majority custody while he had every other weekend timesharing. I fell upon hard financial times and moved into a 2 bedroom apartment at which time my ex husband took 2 of our three children to live with him. He then filed for a modification of timesharing in 2015. He stated in the petition that I did not have proper housing to accommodate our children. I never answered the petition I received in October 2015. I went to jail on March 6, 2016 and was incarcerated until february 2019. The modification petition was entered into the courts on April 5, 2016 and noted that the mother did not show up so the father was granted the modification. But he never told the judge I was incarcerated and I had no idea when the court date was.

Anyway, my ex husband had custody of the two children and in May 2018 he contacted my parents in Michigan because he wanted them to take our daughter to live with them

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You need to return to the court that issued the last timesharing order and ask for a modification. Once in court you can explain your situation and get a new schedule with the children moving forward.

Bruce Alexander Minnick and B. Elaine Jones agree with this answer

B. Elaine Jones
B. Elaine Jones

A: I agree with Attorney Lieber. Call one of the JUSTIA attorneys today. Most give a free initial consultation. Call one of us today. Good luck.


B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.