El Paso, TX asked in Employment Law, Estate Planning and Identity Theft for Texas

Q: How to get Fidelity 401k to unlock my account.

I have had id theft issues for years. Recently this affected my 401k my account was locked due to thief tried to access account and changed email address. They said they needed to verify my identity and so I sent them copies of dl, ssn and also sent them several police reports that I have accumulated over the years of dealing with this issue. This was 2 months ago and whenever I call them, like almost every week, they just say someone will contact me, but no one does. I am on short term disability right now and needed to use those funds to keep up with bills but they don’t seem to be doing anything since no one has ever contacted me regarding this. What should I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: Roll that account over to an IRA with a different custodian. The new custodian will help you get it rolled over. Fees might be higher but at least you will get access to your funds. Before you withdraw from it make sure you understand the tax implications.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.