Asked in Military Law and Immigration Law

Q: I want to attend to my sons military basic train in Texas this coming December , how can I travel my GC is not aprov

I applied I-131 with my green card applications last April 29,2019.

How can I expedite the process .can I use my sons graduation as my reason to go?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sheri A Benchetrit
Sheri A Benchetrit
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: You can travel inside of the United States while you are waiting for your green card to be approved. You do not need an I 131 travel authorization. The I 131 (in your case advanced parole) allows you to travel outside of the U.S. and re-enter while the process is ongoing. Since Texas is inside of the U.S. there should be no problem. I do recommend that you bring the original receipt notices for the I 130, I 485 and I 131 when you travel in order to document that you are in the process of obtaining permanent residency just in case you are stopped by an immigration officer, since Texas is a border state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.