New York, NY asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for New York

Q: Im in a situation where I resigned from my job on Oct 15 , and on 11/4 reached to me saying they got me for 5k theft.

Apparently they have video footage of me taking the money out the straps and putting it into my pocket and now have nearly 5k on my tab ( I worked for an armored truck company) idk how true this is, but it took 2 weeks for them to notify me of anything, and are now just adding any shortage to my name. Can they prove I took all of this money? From one video? I have been asked to come in on Thursday for a conversation , in which if I don't come in, they will write a police report and have me arrested and charged with a class A felony.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael D. Litman
Michael D. Litman
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • White Plains, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If they want you to come in, they are probably going to have detectives there to arrest you, which is likely mandatory for their insurance company to cover any losses. They might be able to prove that you took something from the video, but it is hard to say if they are going to be able to prove that you took the whole $5K. If all of the missing money coincides with the shifts you were working, they may present that as evidence. You should look into hiring an attorney ASAP to be prepared in case you are arrested on Thursday.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.