Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New York Federal Crimes Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Military Law and Municipal Law for New York on
Q: I am active duty station at Fort Drum. Do I have to report to jusry duty in Mississippi?

I am active duty Army station at Fort Drum, New York. My residence is back in Carriere, MS on the Hancock County side. Is there any exemptment for soldiers stationed away from home? If so, what will I need to do to let the court know?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 9, 2021

There are military law attorneys on this forum who have experience with such matters, and they could answer best. But your post remains open for a day, and it is probably best to take some form of action without further delay. You could show the notice to your commanding officer and request their... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Federal Crimes and Wrongful Death for New York on
Q: Will i go to jail if i pass a crosswalk sign that told me to stop when the traffic light told the car to go?

I wanted to know if i would go to jail if the crosswalk sign said to stop and i passed but the traffic light told the car to go almost hitting me. I dont know if this makes any sense...

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 30, 2021

No one goes to jail for most traffic offenses (other than leaving the scene or reckless driving in some states).

If someone is in the crosswalk traffic has to stop. If no one is in it and traffic has a green light they may proceed.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Real Estate Law and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: How can I file a suit on tom aini and the hornell police sheriff's dept state police and the city hall brian schu lawyer

I have evidence in drug activity corruption harassment sexual harassment I all listed above and a few other officials in the city

Jonathan R. Ratchik
Jonathan R. Ratchik answered on Jul 28, 2021

If you wish to report corruption involving local and state elected officials, you should report the matter to the Office of the Comptroller, , which is charged with fighting corruption. You do not have legal standing to file suit on such matters. As for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Internet Law, Small Claims and Trademark for New York on
Q: Can I sue someone if they borrowed around 10k from me and he hasn’t returned it since.I’ve asked multiple times for it.

I have text history of giving him this money but I’m not sure if that’s considered legitimate evidence. This man continuously ghosts me everytime after he promised he would get it to me.

Linda Liang
Linda Liang answered on Jul 5, 2021

Yes, you can. Text history is a form of proof if it clearly indicates the debt and the other party did not dispute.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: In family court if perjury has easily been proven, can the defendant request it to be taken to criminal court?
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich answered on Jun 7, 2021

It can be referred to the DA by the Family court judge but is almost never done.

Q: What kind of lawyer handles criminal hospital negligence? The intent to deceive, leaving patient under continous duress.

Hospitals knowledge of errors made after asking patient for her wrist, to look at ID Bracelet. Sudden room change, bed and all down hall across from psychiatrists/nursing staff front desk. Reason? Was told a emergency came in. The emergency discovered years later due to fraud concealment and... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 4, 2021

An attorney who works with medical malpractice cases would be able to evaluate such a case. It could sometimes require a considerable level of evaluation to determine whether negligence rises to the level of criminal negligence. This appears to be a complex case and would likely require detailed... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: 3rd time asking, no replies yet. Have expunged marijuana coviction. What do I answer when asked "ever been convicted?"
Benjamin Ostrer
Benjamin Ostrer answered on May 3, 2021

You can truthfully answer that you have not been convicted if your disposition was expunged. However, there are applications such as a pistol permit and certain employment where the permit officer or HR office should be consulted. Some require disclosure of all cases even those that were... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: Why are US petitioners allowed to not secure foriegn applicants US documents?

They are also allowed to not initially secure proper accommodation for foreign applicants who come here and work and pay taxes. This entire experience caused me to loose stable income because I had to migrate because the immigrant visa with a one year extension was about to expire and neither the... Read more »

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga answered on Apr 5, 2021

Many of the things you say lead us to believe that your situation is quite unusual, and for that reason you really need to speak with an immigration attorney so s/he can advise you on your options based on your particular circumstances.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: Is pet flipping in New York State illegal?
Toshinori Isoai
Toshinori Isoai answered on Mar 30, 2021

Assuming that this is a serious question, we recommend a review of New York Consolidated Laws, Penal Law - PEN § 155.05 where "Larceny" is defined.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for New York on
Q: Adverse event, Fraud Concealment in patient records what kind of lawyer is needed to pursue this kind of case/injuries?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 23, 2021

An attorney who deals with healthcare law and HIPAA could be a starting point, and depending on more information, possibly a medical malpractice attorney or civil litigation attorney, based on the issues that emerge in making a more detailed assessment. You could use the tab above (Find-a-Lawyer)... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: My little brother got caught on some drug charges I have a name of someone who is responsible for a death in 2016 can I

Use That info to get him out of trouble

Peter Wade Kolp
Peter Wade Kolp answered on Nov 4, 2020

Proceed with caution and with a defense attorney bc if you were a witness to a crime and didnt come forward, they may think you were acting in concert or part of the crime.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: Who can u talk to when you feel your rights are being violated by the the probation officer and the Supervisor

Federal probation Northern district Albany NY

Peter Wade Kolp
Peter Wade Kolp answered on Nov 3, 2020

Consult weit your defense attorney. They can contact the officer and likely help iron out any issues if the law isn't being followed.

If you cant get in touch with them you can either hire a private attorney or contact a free service.

Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New...
Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Immigration Law and Wrongful Death for New York on
Q: Do I lose US citizenship after death?

Hello. I'm wanted in the USA. While I was on bond I managed to get out of the country because I was very scared of consequences(prison). In that foreign country I've bought a fake death certificate and mailed(under different name) it to US court that handles my case(very stupid idea).... Read more »

Victor M. Feraru
Victor M. Feraru answered on Oct 13, 2020

You’re going to want to hire an attorney now to negotiate several things. People make mistakes. Feel free to reach out to me (or any other Justia attorney who handles these matters to help you with your situation. My contact information is in my profile. Don’t just “face the music,”... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: I was convicted in 1989 for a non-violent felony, did 5 yrs probation, 1 yr of drug rehab. I want my record sealed

I do not have a copy of my arrest record or the number I was assigned, probation office said everything is in archives and nothing will come up with my name on it. I was arrested under my married name

Stuart Austin
Stuart Austin answered on Sep 30, 2020

Depending on the crime and if you have been clean for 10 years you may be eligible to have your case sealed. Your case should be on microfiche at the courthouse and you will have to order it. You need to bring id with your married name. Once you receive the papers... call us and we will review... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Immigration Law for New York on
Q: Can a children ( minor ) who came in 2013 with their parent to u.s and did not present to court faced the same charges

Can they now fix the immigration statues? Now that they are 18 ?

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler answered on Aug 9, 2020

More information is needed. The facts are unclear, but you suggest that there is a final order of removal/deportation. This significantly complicates matters.

There are risks. Did you just turn18 years old? What, if any, form of relief is available? A series of other facts still remain...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: I signed birth certificate documents thinking I was the father when the mother of the child knew I wasn’t the real fathe

She knew months before the child was born I wasn’t his father but the day he was born had me sign the documents and I believed to be the father i was with her for 11 years and help please

Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich answered on Jul 15, 2020

You don't say how long ago you signed the papers so it is difficult to give you an answer as that is a critical piece of information. However, based upon what you have said, you may be able to set aside the acknowledgment of paternity based upon fraud.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: Can I sue the state for not informing me of my convicted rapists release to society

He served his sentence and got put in mental facility because he’s a serial offender and was still a risk to society. I was never told he was released and he’s been seen around my home town and now I’m afraid and traumatized all over again because he came back to the place where this all... Read more »

Derek John Soltis
Derek John Soltis answered on Jul 3, 2020

This is a horribe answer to your question, but it gets arround to answering why suing probably won't help you.

You can sue anyone for any reason you want, but it doesn't mean you will win anything.

The state failed to tell you something. I don't remember you...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: Was my fith amendment right violated? If i was tried and convicted of a felonies not included in the indictment?

So i was indicted with two felony counts to misdemeanor counts but was tried and convicted of three counts of each?

Stephen John Riebling
Stephen John Riebling answered on Jun 15, 2020

Unfortunately, it is difficult to answer your complex questions without more information about your case, the trial and the indictment. If your rights were in fact violated, that could be an issue for appeal. Again, a more thorough review of your case would be necessary.

2 Answers | Asked in Federal Crimes and Criminal Law for New York on
Q: Ok so I have a question . My father back in November gave me permission to use his credit card for several things.

I even have this as proof in texts from him. Now months later after a fight he's trying to say I committed fraud. If I have the texts as proof that he willingly gave permission , then I'm in the clear , correct ?

Howard E. Knispel
Howard E. Knispel answered on Mar 12, 2020

First of all, this is not a Family Law question. it is a Criminal Law question. As for whether you are "in the clear", that depends. If you used his card with his permission, as he dictated, then you may have a defense. No one but your attorney, who would review the facts, can make a... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: What can the outcome be for a "Petit Larceny" charge when it is my first EVER offense?

I was stopped at the door and they asked me to hand everything over, which I did, and I complied with what both the store workers asked of me and the police officers asked me, as I do not remember what I attempted to steal due to the fact that I was in a manic impulsive episode and I had blacked... Read more »

Daniel A. Johnston
Daniel A. Johnston answered on Jan 25, 2020

If you don't have the money for a lawyer, ask the Court for Legal Aid to be assigned.

If you have no record, the most likely outcome (depending on what county you're in/who the DA is/who the judge is) would be an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal (stay out of trouble for 6...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.