Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New York Federal Crimes Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Immigration Law for New York on
Q: Can a children ( minor ) who came in 2013 with their parent to u.s and did not present to court faced the same charges

Can they now fix the immigration statues? Now that they are 18 ?

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler answered on Aug 9, 2020

More information is needed. The facts are unclear, but you suggest that there is a final order of removal/deportation. This significantly complicates matters.

There are risks. Did you just turn18 years old? What, if any, form of relief is available? A series of other facts still remain...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: I signed birth certificate documents thinking I was the father when the mother of the child knew I wasn’t the real fathe

She knew months before the child was born I wasn’t his father but the day he was born had me sign the documents and I believed to be the father i was with her for 11 years and help please

Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich answered on Jul 15, 2020

You don't say how long ago you signed the papers so it is difficult to give you an answer as that is a critical piece of information. However, based upon what you have said, you may be able to set aside the acknowledgment of paternity based upon fraud.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: Can I sue the state for not informing me of my convicted rapists release to society

He served his sentence and got put in mental facility because he’s a serial offender and was still a risk to society. I was never told he was released and he’s been seen around my home town and now I’m afraid and traumatized all over again because he came back to the place where this all... Read more »

Derek John Soltis
Derek John Soltis answered on Jul 3, 2020

This is a horribe answer to your question, but it gets arround to answering why suing probably won't help you.

You can sue anyone for any reason you want, but it doesn't mean you will win anything.

The state failed to tell you something. I don't remember you...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: Was my fith amendment right violated? If i was tried and convicted of a felonies not included in the indictment?

So i was indicted with two felony counts to misdemeanor counts but was tried and convicted of three counts of each?

Stephen John Riebling
Stephen John Riebling answered on Jun 15, 2020

Unfortunately, it is difficult to answer your complex questions without more information about your case, the trial and the indictment. If your rights were in fact violated, that could be an issue for appeal. Again, a more thorough review of your case would be necessary.

2 Answers | Asked in Federal Crimes and Criminal Law for New York on
Q: Ok so I have a question . My father back in November gave me permission to use his credit card for several things.

I even have this as proof in texts from him. Now months later after a fight he's trying to say I committed fraud. If I have the texts as proof that he willingly gave permission , then I'm in the clear , correct ?

Howard E. Knispel
Howard E. Knispel answered on Mar 12, 2020

First of all, this is not a Family Law question. it is a Criminal Law question. As for whether you are "in the clear", that depends. If you used his card with his permission, as he dictated, then you may have a defense. No one but your attorney, who would review the facts, can make a... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: What can the outcome be for a "Petit Larceny" charge when it is my first EVER offense?

I was stopped at the door and they asked me to hand everything over, which I did, and I complied with what both the store workers asked of me and the police officers asked me, as I do not remember what I attempted to steal due to the fact that I was in a manic impulsive episode and I had blacked... Read more »

Daniel A. Johnston
Daniel A. Johnston answered on Jan 25, 2020

If you don't have the money for a lawyer, ask the Court for Legal Aid to be assigned.

If you have no record, the most likely outcome (depending on what county you're in/who the DA is/who the judge is) would be an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal (stay out of trouble for 6...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for New York on


Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Nov 9, 2019

First, typing in all capital letter is considered rude. If you believe you are justified, then you should consider the feelings and position of the recipients.

There is no legal avenue to get back in court after so many years

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: Im in a situation where I resigned from my job on Oct 15 , and on 11/4 reached to me saying they got me for 5k theft.

Apparently they have video footage of me taking the money out the straps and putting it into my pocket and now have nearly 5k on my tab ( I worked for an armored truck company) idk how true this is, but it took 2 weeks for them to notify me of anything, and are now just adding any shortage to my... Read more »

Michael D. Litman
Michael D. Litman answered on Nov 5, 2019

If they want you to come in, they are probably going to have detectives there to arrest you, which is likely mandatory for their insurance company to cover any losses. They might be able to prove that you took something from the video, but it is hard to say if they are going to be able to prove... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: About 5 years ago I violated an order protection I got arrested and so on can I become a police officer if I violated it

Can I be disqualified if I violated and order of protection?

William Jaksa
William Jaksa answered on Oct 23, 2019

Please understand that I don't know the hiring standards of the police service you would like to apply to, but generally speaking a conviction and record for disobeying court orders would likely not make you the most ideal candidate. Be prepared to provide an explanation that makes sense if... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Divorce, Personal Injury and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: i was married on 4-25-2014 and my wife is and correction officer who had her job or her job had her put me in dummy

book against my will they came into my house on 11/19/2014 pull a gun out on me because i was video taping him asking him what reason did he just enter into my home he states i was call long story short they took me out my home and tried to kill me in a public hospital with hand cuffs on behind my... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Oct 7, 2019

Firtst, you wrote in a run on sentence so it is not clear what you wrote

I have no idea what a dummy book is

Second, stop making public statements

Third, if you want a lawyer, then call one.

Do not expect lawyers to respond to your public announcement

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Family Law and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: I was living with the child for two yrs. Found out it was mine. Then had to pay 10gs, along with support living there.

We had a child. She was on DSS for awhile and I joined with her. We had a kid but she told me it might not be mine. It's my first so I didn't know what to do so I stayed. Found out two years later it was mine. Then hit with a ten grand arrears and had to pay child support living with... Read more »

John Anthony Pappalardo
John Anthony Pappalardo answered on Sep 20, 2019

I would suggest that you negotiate with DSS

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Federal Crimes and Gov & Administrative Law for New York on
Q: If my probation officer said I can't visit an inmate a year ago is it possible she could change her mind?

Will I never be allowed to visit an inmate while on probation or could she change her mind

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Aug 14, 2019

There is no harm in asking or filing for a waiver

2 Answers | Asked in Banking, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for New York on
Q: I was a victim of identity theft. bank where card was opened is refusing to send me documents I am legally entitled

Is there any legal recourse? The bank has been dishonest multiple times, I have by mail requested the application which they approved in my name (spelled incorrectly and wrong mothers maiden name etc) and they are refusing to send me the application. According to government websites they cannot... Read more »

Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel answered on Jul 21, 2019

The bank is right. If the card was canceled you have no damages. If you made a police report, then the police investigate the account, not you. The bank records are not yours, by your own allegation. You can sue and do a subpoena, but I am not sure what the suit would be claiming.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Rights, Environmental and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: What did you major in for your BA/BS? Was it a BA or BS? When did you know you wanted to be a lawyer?

I just switched my education path to Political Science and wondering where I can take it

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Jul 7, 2019

This not a legal question

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Public Benefits for New York on
Q: Who to go to for former corrupt customs admin decades ago with valid evidence of drug smuggling operations whistleblowin

Friend worked for former border patrol, customs enforcement and secret service for Carter and Ford and has photos and documents of his involvement in drug enforcement operations, and a former boss was suppose to turn in narcotics and arrest those involved yet turned around and gave it back and did... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 6, 2019

Unfortunately--even if everything you said is 100% true--there is nothing anyone can do about it today. Why? Because of the extremely, long period of time that has elapsed between the time of the drug-related issues (late seventies) and now.

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: How can I find public record of my boyfriends past federal case?
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Apr 15, 2019

Contact the clerk of the court where he was prosecuted. If don't know that District then you can contact

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: How can l get an application for a certificate for good conduct. To be honest l don't know the correct terms.

I have a felony dating back to 1999, l am trying to get a promotion at work, but my past is keeping me from achieving my goals.

Michael Arbeit
Michael Arbeit answered on Apr 1, 2019

Depending on what the felony convictions was for and any other past criminal history, you may be eligible to seal that conviction pursuant to CPL Section 160.59. You should consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney in regard to this matter.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: Can anyone else sign a court order other then the ordering judge.

I'm a pro sae litigator as I have had to take my "family" court case to the federal court. Administrator Joan Posner ( family court is in fact a private for profit contract business.) How can I file a lawsuit against

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Feb 4, 2019

Who else signed the order? Was it a magistrate or judge pro tempore (they are able to sign orders)? More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: I got beat up, aresst was made my tooth is chipped my neck is swollen I can’t hear well out of my left ear small and ex

Trying to figure out where to go about getting money for medical bills pain and suffering and missed work, it’s been 4 days and I’m going back to er as I’m getting dizzy can’t hear well or swallow and ringing I’m ears and head pain

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Jan 2, 2019

You can report the crime to the police, and if the attacker is found guilty you may receive certain funds from the defendant as part of his/her criminal sentence. You may also be able to sue the attacker for civil damages. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue.... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for New York on
Q: Why would a sentencing hearing be moved and what does it mean to have a "terminate hearing"?

A friend of mine who I am no longer in contact with pleaded guilty to a fairly serious federal felony last summer. His PSIR took place last month and along with an attachment (title "Supplement plea agreement") is still sealed. His sentencing hearing was scheduled for next week but on... Read more »

Kristen Epifania
Kristen Epifania answered on Nov 20, 2018

A sentencing hearing can be moved for many reasons - for example, the Judge's calendar has a conflict or an attorney involved in the case needs to reschedule for their own reasons.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.