Las Vegas, NV asked in Family Law and Immigration Law for Nevada

Q: I was previously married and did all the paperwork for my ex wife. Am i entitled to a copy because i want to marry again

I went to every office for immigration paid for it and i have no idea about the paperwork and i want to ask the lawyer for a copy but dont want to tip off my ex wife so she doesnt try to stall my new marriage. She is also and immigrant with a work visa and i dont even know if it will be a problem. Her son will be doing her paperwork but if on the off chance he wont can i without issue?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sheri A Benchetrit
Sheri A Benchetrit
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: You can do a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request for the I 130 and for any documents that you signed, but you will not be entitled to a copy of the documents she signed, such as the I 485, Application for Employment Authorization or Application for Advanced Parole, as those belong to her.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.