Brooklyn, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant, Civil Rights and Communications Law for New York

Q: So last night I accidentall locked myself out can I bill landlord/ super

I’ve only been here for almost a week. So last night I accidentally locked myself out of my apartment that I’m staying in. My girlfriend aka owner of apartment wasn’t home and the super “wasn’t available ” to help me. I’ve only been here for like almost a week. So I called fire department and they helped me get in but messed up the door. Is there any way I can get the super to pay to fix this door or how should I go about this because my gf will kill me if I can’t fix this door

1 Lawyer Answer
Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Generally, the expense of damage cause to an apartment (or apartment door) is caused by a tenant or a tenant's guest the tenant is responsible to the landlord for these damages. In that situation, if the landlord's super repairs the damage, the landlord can seek recovery for the cost of the repair from the tenant.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.