Houston, TX asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Education Law for Texas

Q: I have legal custody of my kids in Texas, my ex's parents are holding them from me, can I go get my kids from school?

Long story short our house caught fire, I left my kids in LA while we repaired the house, never signed any custody or guardianship, things took longer than expected due to several deaths in my family, since they have had them they tell my kids bad things about me, tell my kids to lie to me, alienate me, tell me one thing so I won't be there for events and then make it look like I don't show up, I have been trying to get them back, they refuse to give them to me. their father is in and out if the picture he is now currently living there with his parents, he and I have been talking about transitioning the kids back home, I was supposed to get them this last weekend and on Thursday the kids call me and lie to me saying they have plans. Which they did not, my question is if I take a certified copy of the custody orders and go to my kids school, will the school release my kids to me? What are my rights I doubt my name was put on any paperwork, should I bring any other documentation?

1 Lawyer Answer
Rahlita D. Thornton
Rahlita D. Thornton
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Your issues sound very complicated. I do not think that you should follow legal advice on the internet with your facts. You should sit down with an attorney who can properly evaluate your details and issues. You may well have rights to go to your kids school however. But, you need to make sure before doing so. Good luck and let us know if you would like our assistance. 888-343-4529.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.