Wendell, NC asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for North Carolina

Q: If my daughter who is my wife stepdaughter who enter college before we separated. Now me and my wife have a 10yrs

Together. She is seeking child support for the 10yrs ago. Can i carry my daughter as a dependent why im asking is because i retired from my job. And retirement is $160 000 less then what i was making. Carry my daughter would help reduce her child support money received. Right now we have joint custody. And we together made to much money to get financial aid. So i been paying out of pocket.

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Your question doesn't really make much sense, if your daughter is your wife's step daughter she would have no claim to child support at all let alone from 10 years ago nor should she have any sort of custody. You daughter will be a dependent until she reaches the age of 18 and possibly a bit longer under certain circumstances. You need to be more clear with the what your situation is and what you hope to accomplish.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.