Concord, NC asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for North Carolina

Q: I slapped my boyfriend and got a charge

I am 19 he is 21 we are parents of a 3 month old with a ton of bills and in process of buying a house I slapped him and he went to stay at his dads . My neighbor in apartment called cops I admitted to slapping him and I got a charge! I’ve never been in trouble how do we get this dropped!!

2 Lawyer Answers
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Speaking to law enforcement and admitting to a crime was a complete and total mistake. At this point, you need to hire a local criminal law attorney ASAP before you make matters worse than you already have. If you stop trying to handle this yourself and follow your attorneys advice and if your boyfriend is cooperative, there is a possibility of a dismissal or some other outcome that may not result in a criminal record. Best of luck.

Adam Bull
Adam Bull
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Asheville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: It's a criminal matter so the state prosecutes the case not your boyfriend. He cannot dismiss the charge, only the state can, and given you admitted it, they can prosecute the case without boyfriend.

You can enroll in an anger management and domestic violence prevention program to address your issues and show the district attorney you have addressed the underlying issues which led you to strike your boyfriend. This often helps convince them you are not a high risk to re-offend.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.