Santa Monica, CA asked in Business Law for California

Q: I made a custom jewelry piece for a customer. He wants to cancel It but im charging labor fees. Can he sue?

I made a custom jewelry piece for a customer. He wants to cancel It but im charging labor fees, he said since It was 10 grams lighter he didn't want It, but it had an extra two carats of diamonds and he was still paying the same. He now wants to take legal action. Help?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shawn R. Jackson Esq.
Shawn R. Jackson Esq.
  • Rohnert Park, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Interesting … I owned Jewelry stores for over 20 years … and sometimes this issue came up. As with any such agreement, with foreseeable and reasonable reliance upon the terms of the agreement, you are entitled to restitution for those costs & expenses that you cannot reasonably "return" to suppliers. So, if you have performed services and/or purchased items that cannot be returned, you are entitled to receive restitution for your time, costs and expenses. With this being said, we do live in an "online review" world where customers can voice their dissatisfaction, whether valid or not … so, some of your final decision will be "legal" … some will be "business" and some will be "customer satisfaction". Your thoughts … Shawn Jackson - Business Development Attorney.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.