Bradford, NH asked in Employment Law and Sexual Harassment for New Hampshire

Q: Do I have a case for sexual harassment at my place of work? Should I lawyer up?

In October a new manager was introduced to my store when the old one moved up. New Manager = NM. Old Manager = OM. NM was disliked from the start due to staring at young, female employees, disregard for personal space, and yelling at the staff. He’s also on thin ice for messing up payroll & other important paperwork. In September, I was working alone with NM. I felt his fingers against my rear three times that day, but I was too shocked/scared to say anything to him. I told OM, who looked at the store footage which confirm my story, then apologized and promised to write it up then have me sign it. It is December and there’s no paperwork. 3 weeks ago, NM brushed my breast twice. I told OM immediately, and all I got was “The owner and I will talk to him.” With still no paperwork, what do I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Kelly Levasseur
Joseph Kelly Levasseur
  • Manchester, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: Hopefully you kept the tape, or the OM will back up your claim. You should call Human Resources right away. You can file a sexual harassment claim with the Human Rights Commission online and they will perform an investigation. Good Luck!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.