Carthage, NC asked in Criminal Law and Personal Injury for North Carolina

Q: My husband was shot in the back of the head. He suffered a tramatic spinal cord injury leaving him parayzed

Simple affray was the chosen charge for assailant. What legal options do I have

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Bull
Adam Bull
  • Asheville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: There are two different interactions with the law in this situation. The first is the criminal side which you mentioned. The state is in control of what charges to bring and the prosecution. It does seem like thet may have undercharged given then information provided.

There is also the potential for a civil suit for his medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. He would have the burden of proof on these issues, but also in NC has to prove that he was in no way at fault and did not create or contribute to the Jaffray.

Consult an experienced personal injury attorney.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.