Rock Hill, SC asked in Consumer Law and Criminal Law for South Carolina

Q: charged w/takin parents vehicle without permission. Cops on Cell recording not reading my rights. Can throw out court

I took my moms vehicle which I was given a key too with permission to use everyday to take brothers to school and personal use if I ask, I was told not to go out and took the car out anyway one night, they told me to be home by 10 or they’d call police. I arrive at 10:30, see the cops as I pull in and press voice record on phone, the cops question and arrest me without reading my rights, I did admit on recording to knowing I didn’t have permission which I’ve read the admission of guilt can be thrown out in court.. if they don’t have a confession could I have this charge thrown out considering the fact I had a key to the vehicle?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Summerville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: We would need some more information before we can answer that question. The issue would be if you were in custody at the time that you made the admission. You will need to reach out to a criminal defense attorney in your area or the public defenders office if you can not afford a private attorney so that they can get full discovery in the case before anyone would be able to answer that question for you. Even if the statement was thrown out, the State could go forward with the charge if they believe that they have enough other evidence to do so.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.