Bremerton, WA asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Washington

Q: Can I represent myself for an individual hearing w/o my private attorney and have said attorney complete subsequent

hearings agreed to in my attorney client agreement. It’s a non compliance hearing for a dirty UA in treatment for DUI. Or, do I need the attorney to file a Motion to Withdraw and if so, can I have them withdraw for just this single compliance hearing. They want $500 I don’t currently have to represent me for this hearing so I’d like to represent myself for this hearing only and not jeopardize my private attorney appearing on my behalf when my deferment requirements are met that I paid for as part of the retainer. Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick Owen Earl
Patrick Owen Earl
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Moses Lake, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: The attorney can't withdraw for one hearing. Once he is on the case he is on the case BUT you can ask that attorney not to appear at a hearing and see if the Judge will accept your explanation of what you are dealing with however, Judges don't like to do this. Attorneys have a way to explain and talk to Judges that get the point across and getting to the heart of the matter because we have been doing if for years, day in and day out. Judges like to hear arguments from familiar voice. Good Luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.