Chicago, IL asked in Criminal Law, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Nebraska

Q: I am a white man from Omaha, who was recently threatened to be killed with a machete or corn knife by a black man.

He lunged at me and started to swing the machete in a menacing manner while saying “I’m going to kill you.” If I understand the NEBRASKA laws correctly this is the crime of a terroristic threat and additionally, very likely a hate crime. What procedure should I follow in regards to this incident?

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: Terrorist threats is a crime. You can call the non-emergency law enforcement phone number and request to make a report. It would then be up to the county attorney whether to file criminal charges based on that report or not.

If you are in fear that this person may come after you, can may want to apply for a protection order. The forms to apply for a protection order are at the courthouse and on the Nebraska Supreme Court's website.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.