Charlotte, NC asked in Criminal Law for North Carolina

Q: If someone files a false police report what happens

Reported vehicle was stolen and filed false police report but the vehicle wasn't stolen

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bill Powers
Bill Powers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina


There are both felony and misdemeanor "false police report" charges in North Carolina, see:

§ 14-225. False reports to law enforcement agencies or officers.

(a) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, any person who shall willfully make or cause to be made to a law enforcement agency or officer any false, deliberately misleading or unfounded report, for the purpose of interfering with the operation of a law enforcement agency, or to hinder or obstruct any law enforcement officer in the performance of his duty, shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.

(b) A violation of subsection (a) of this section is punishable as a Class H felony if the false, deliberately misleading, or unfounded report relates to a law enforcement investigation involving the disappearance of a child as that term is defined in G.S. 14-318.5 or child victim of a Class A, B1, B2, or C felony offense. For purposes of this subsection, a child is any person who is less than 16 years of age.

The inquiry appears to relate to a Class 2 Misdemeanor.

At the same time, we have seen cases in the past the police report was filed for the purposes of insurance fraud, which may constitute a CLASS H FELONY.

Any person who, with the intent to injure, defraud, or deceive an insurer or

insurance claimant:

(1) Presents or causes to be presented a written or oral statement, including

computer-generated documents as part of, in support of, or in opposition to,

a claim for payment or other benefit pursuant to an insurance policy,

knowing that the statement contains false or misleading information

concerning any fact or matter material to the claim, or

(2) Assists, abets, solicits, or conspires with another person to prepare or make

any written or oral statement that is intended to be presented to an insurer or

insurance claimant in connection with, in support of, or in opposition to, a

claim for payment or other benefit pursuant to an insurance policy, knowing

G.S. 58-2-161 Page 2

that the statement contains false or misleading information concerning a fact

or matter material to the claim is guilty of a Class H felony. Each claim shall

be considered a separate count. Upon conviction, if the court imposes

probation, the court may order the defendant to pay restitution as a condition

of probation. In determination of the amount of restitution pursuant to G.S.

15A-1343(d), the reasonable costs and attorneys' fees incurred by the victim

in the investigation of, and efforts to recover damages arising from, the

claim, may be considered part of the damage caused by the defendant arising

out of the offense.

The NC Sentencing Chart indicates a maximum possible term of imprisonment of 39 months in prison.


It's a really good idea to speak with legal counsel, as each case, like each client, is unique.

Timing can be key in defending such matters.


What are the Top 3 Things to do if Arrested:


Best of luck to you!

Bill Powers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.