Long Beach, CA asked in Criminal Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for California

Q: I got caught at school with vape products and did not receive a copy of my citation until I went and asked for it.

I went into the bathroom for 2 minutes and when i came out of the stall from taking a piss, the other kids in the bathroom were being searched, I tried to leave but I got searched as well and caught with an empty thc cartridge and battery. Neither of my parents were in town when this happened so my uncle came in and I was released to him. The police officer never gave me a copy of my citation and I haven't gotten anything in the mail regarding court. It wasn't until my parents went to the station and asked for the citation and got it from a different police officer. The officer said to come to him if nothing shows up in the mail and so far nothing has came in, although the citation says court is January 22nd at 8:30 am. I am 17 years old

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: more info needed.

i assume you are commanded to appear in Juv Ct?...if they file.

you can either come in with a lawyer or ask for a public defender to represent you.

you should avoid vaping as there is some evidence that it is harmful.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.