Kyle, TX asked in Traffic Tickets, Collections, Municipal Law and Small Claims for Texas

Q: Can a 15 yr old traffic ticket in my maiden name still be pursued or can it be dismissed since it's not my legal name?

A small TX county sent me a postcard saying I had an outstanding criminal case against me pending. Called the county and was told their software was updated so all outstanding tickets were being pursued. No warrant yet, drivers license eligibility is still good. Need to find out how far back TX DPS records go because I intend to prove I took Defensive Driving to remove this ticket 15 years back. Problem is I dont have records that far back now and I was told that the DPS records only go back 10 years. How can I be pursued 15 years later for an old ticket? Seems fishy and like the County is trying to find Suckers to help keep their county operating by pursuing bogus claims. I am confident I would've taken DD to keep my record clean. The county also won't send me the citation until I send them a copy of my current driver's license (my legal name is different and has been the last 15 years). I just moved a month ago and suddenly this postcard showed up to my new address in my maiden name.

1 Lawyer Answer
Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Yes, a 15 year old traffic ticket can still be prosecuted even if the citation was issued in your maiden name and you are now married. The question is: were you the individual who was issued the ticket back then, regardless of what your name was or is now. Request an abstract of your record from the DOS. Calling an attorney would probably help; you may have other avenues to contest the matter. Good luck

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.