Fayetteville, AR asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Oklahoma

Q: Hello. I am wondering if we the petitioner can request a public notice to be placed regarding a court date.

The respondent does have an attorney but we didn't want to get to the court hearing day of and the respondents attorney ask for another continuance because she can't locate her client. We have guardianship of our two nieces for 21 months and filed for adoption in September. Court date for adoption without consent was set for Oct 25th but there was a continuance because biomom went into rehab on Oct 31st and got out mid December. We haven't heard from her and she hasn't seen her kids. The new court date is in February. She has a lawyer but we wanted to do a public notification regarding this date. We are trying to avoid the lawyer saying she can't locate her client and ask for another continuance day of. Can we request it to be published or is that out of our control since she has a lawyer?

Thank you.

Rachael in Oklahoma.

1 Lawyer Answer
Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: You would have to give the attorney notice of the hearing. It is very easy to mess up an adoption, so much so that most attorneys will not even attempt an adoption case. You really should have an attorney that really knows adoptions to help you and they will be able to deal with notice issues.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.