Huntsville, AL asked in Bankruptcy and Consumer Law for Alabama

Q: I just completed a Chapter 13 bankruptcy 5 year 100% payback plan and received a discharge.

In 2014 I co-signed a student loan application for my stepson. His mother and I got divorced later that year. All during the plan this “Sallie Mae Bank Inc” loan showed as being in a “Closed” status on my 3 credit reports. Now that I have completed the plan and received a discharge the loan is being reported and showing “Open” this month on these reports with a $12K amount. Is there anything I can do to get it removed? I’ve had no contact with this family in over 5 years and have no control over the loan. Thanks for your time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: You can contact the credit bureaus regarding this but the bottom line is you are still obligated on the note. Was it not dealt with in your divorce?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.