Cumberland, RI asked in Domestic Violence and Criminal Law for Rhode Island

Q: Domestic violence

So I was 8 months pregnant when my boyfriend hit me because we had just broke up. He made me so emotional because I was at the end of my pregnancy and he left me for someone else. But after he hit me I called the cops and they arrived 5 minutes later. But he was not at the scene. The police decided to put a NCO on him and they arrested him hours later after writing the report. Now he is charged with a felony and I really want to get it off his record so he can get a job and help provide for his kids. We’re on good terms now and everything is going good. His court date is in a couple weeks and I’m suppose to go so I can tell the judge what happened. But it is up to me to get the felony off and the judge to decide... my boyfriend wants me to lie to the judge and say it didn’t happen. But I don’t want to because it did happen and I don’t want to get in trouble for anything. I just want the felony off his record..

1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas Briody
Thomas Briody
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Providence, RI
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Don’t lie for him. The felony on his record is not your fault. It’s not your job to ‘get it off his record.’ You could benefit from some private legal consultation. Even if you are now on good terms, there is no real excuse for striking a woman, much less one who is 8 months pregnant.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.