Palm Coast, FL asked in Family Law and Child Support for Florida

Q: Can my child's mother have what I owe in back child support erased? Our son is 21 and lives on his own.

I owe my child's mother back child support. I was paying her for years through Western Union and she wasn't reporting it. I was able to get that taken off what I owe because I was able to produce proof of the payments. Fast forward a few years, and she said she is willing to have the balance forgiven. Can she do this?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: In many States the custodial person can sign an affidavit stating they have received the money and there isn't anymore due; however, it will depend on whether there is any money due the State for medicaid recovery, etc. You can check the State's child support website for more information.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: ave the mother call the Florida Department of Revenue and ask if this cane be done,

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.