Nashville, TN asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Federal Crimes for Arkansas

Q: Can we be denied the autopsy report if my loved one died in custody of the state?

1 Lawyer Answer
James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Conway, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: The information below is a general statement regarding autopsy reports. There are forms on the Arkansas State Crime Lab Website that may assist you in obtaining the report. Typically, once the autopsy report is released to Law Enforcement Officials the information is public and you can use the rules of the FOIA to obtain the records.

Ordinarily the Crime Lab will give family members a copy unless the case is still under investigation or there is other good reasons for secrecy; i.e., manner of death is unknown, the body is dangerous to the public, releasing the information could hinder or harm others, etc.

I would complete the proper forms on the Crime Lab website and see what happens.

Autopsy reports prepared by the State Medical Examiner are not considered medical records; however, these records are confidential under Ark. Code Ann. § 12-12-312(a) so long as they remain in the possession of the state crime lab. Once they leave the custody of the crime lab, however, the reports are subject to the FOIA unless another exemption, such as the act’s law enforcement exemption, Ark. Code Ann. § 25-19-105(b)(6), is applicable. See Ark. Op. Att’y Gen. Nos. 2001-100, 99-110, 97-294, 87-353. If the autopsy report is prepared by someone other than the State Medical Examiner, the crime lab confidentiality statute would not apply. Ark. Op. Att’y Gen. Nos. 97-294 (autopsy report that was never in possession of crime lab is subject to disclosure), 87-135 (autopsy report of coroner qualified to conduct post mortem tests is available under FOIA unless otherwise exempted).

Records gathered and created during the course of a coroner’s investigation are exempt until the coroner’s final report is issued. However, medical information remains exempt, except as quoted in the final report. Ark. Code Ann. § 14-15-304.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.