Dallas, TX asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Juvenile Law for North Carolina

Q: Hello I am 16 years old and live wirh my dad and stepmom. My dad stays high and drunk every night when he gets home.

My step mom stays high all day too on any kind of pill she can get and does meth sometimes with her friend while me and my brother babysit her friends kid. My dad has hit me multiple times, he cussed me out and tells me he hates me all the

Time. My step mom is either passed out high or when dad does get home and she is yelling and cussing us too She does not cook at all. Me and my brother use the grill to cook our supper. I do not want to live here. I want to runaway but my daddy told me that if I did run away he was gonna tell them I stole something from him so I would have to go to jail and I do not want to get in trouble.

1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Bull
Adam Bull
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Asheville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Sorry to hear you are in such a bad situation. You are doing the correct thing and are entitled to a safe and secure home, free from substance abuse and violence. Things you can do:

1) report the activity to your school counselor and resource office.

2) call the Department of Social Services and make a report

Do you have regular contact with your mother?? If she is a suitable person, she could seek to modify custody based on this scenario.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.