Asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Idaho

Q: I have done sign my right away before my daughter born,but my ex never filed it... then my ex

Then my ex and her husband were adopting my daughter and she ask me to sign my right away again for the second time! It was half way process and had to pay 9k for stuff suddenly it went up 50k it cost my parents money to help me get thou. I waited waited. I want to get it done bam 6 month later. My lawyer informed that they were get divorced and adoption process went apart . My daughter doesnt carry my last name at all cuz my ex refused do that! I'm being suffering pay child support for nothing... she left me.... I SIGNED MY RIGHT AWAY TWICE BECAUSE IM DONT WANT TO DEAL WITH CHILD SUPPORT IM 31 AND CANT AFFORD ANYTHING BECAUSE OF HER. PLUS SIDE IM DEAF! She has full custody she call me sperm donor worthless. Deadbeat make me look bad thou people she from utah I'm from idaho

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: I want to tell you what you should do.

First off, Idaho would not allow you to "sign off" rights to your daughter UNLESS there is someone willing to adopt her. In your case, your ex-wife did not give your daughter your last name and wanted to adopt her daughter as much as you did, it seems. Well, because your ex-wife and new husband's marriage fell apart, the adoption fell apart. That's typical frankly. Idaho won't allow you to voluntarily terminate your parental rights. Why? Because if your ex-wife now goes on welfare, the State of Idaho taxpayers will be paying H&W to support your ex-wife and her child. Idaho has a policy that it is PARENTS, not TAXPAYERS who should be supporting children brought into this world. NOW, what you can do.

You have 2 choices:

1. You can pay child support and swear every time you write a check and never see your daughter, hoping her mother will find someone to marry and let you finally have your parental rights terminated because of the adoption; OR

2. You can step up to the plate and petition the Court to call you "Dad" instead of a "sperm donor." You can be a positive influence in your daughter's life; you can be her father; you can make decisions about her life and give her love that no other man ever could; you can protect her from bad men-choices that your ex-wife has made and will continue to make and protect your daughter, play with your daughter and love her like a father. To do this however, you're going to need to hire a lawyer and file a Petition for Custody and Paternity. This is going to be mandatory if you ever expect to do anything other than pay child support hoping your ex-wife will find someone to adopt. That's a truly shitty thing to do! MY advice: BE A MAN, BE A FATHER and NEVER allow your ex-wife to make decisions for your daughter! Good Luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.