Asked in Family Law, Banking and Probate for Michigan

Q: I need to petition for conservatorship for my 14 year old daughter to receive her inheritance from my Mother.

The inheritance is coming from a Canadian bank and in the amount of $5000 CA. They will not release the funds until they have conservatorship papers. What forms do I need to fill out?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You asked this elsewhere, but let me reiterate:

1) if your current bank won't work with you, go to a different one!

2) GENERALLY speaking, there are exceptions to conservatorship for assets worth less than US$5000 which this is.

3) Similarly a trust or some other structure such as and UGMTA accrount may be an option. There are LOTS of ways to manage this without a full blown conservatorship which I concur is 'overkill' for this amount of money.

Bottom line: Talk to a local lawyer about this possibility.

-- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.