Oakland, CA asked in Criminal Law for Puerto Rico

Q: How do I obtain an expungement record for a criminal case in San Juan, Puerto Rico?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using Justia. An expungement of a criminal case in Puerto Rico is a legal process by which a criminal record is eliminated as to be able to obtain a certificate of good conduct. There are various crimes that cannot be expunged ever and other crimes have certain restrictions.

Under local penal code crimes are divided into two catagories, felonys (grave) and non felonys (menos grave). A felony carries a punishment of anything over six months and one day while a non felony is punishable by anything under six months. For a non felony to be expunged you need to file a sworn document with the required evidence to the police six months after you have completed the punishment imposed. In a felony you need to file a petition in Court after five years of completing the punishment.

In both instances you will need to hire an Attorney to assist you in this matter.

If you need additional information please feel free to contact me directly.

Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Greetings;

If you want to obtain an expungement record from a criminal case the first thing you must do is to hire an attorney. Whether we’re a felony or a misdemeanor that you want to expunge from your criminal record after finishing serving time because of a court a sentence. It involves two processes. One in that must be file through a petition in the court of origin where the case took place and another administrative process filed through another petition in the main police headquarters to retrieve other secondary records and information that will show on certain background check.

If you have any other questions on this matter and need out firms assistance, please feel free to contact us directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.