Greenville, PA asked in Elder Law and Family Law for Ohio

Q: I recently found out who my biological father is and he is elderly and in a home. The family wont let me see him

he doesn't have any children (other than me)and his brother is the POA of his estate. What rights do I have to look after my father or even meet him.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony C. Satariano
Anthony C. Satariano
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Xenia, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Unfortunately, the short answer is none. Everyone in the described fact pattern is an adult, meaning they can freely decide who they interact with. You do not have a protected "right" to meet him. While normally you may be given some say in his medical care as his only biological child, he has a POA naming a representative so that will trump any right you have to direct his care.

Your best option is to consult with the other family members or try to reach out to him directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.