Coraopolis, PA asked in Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury and Wrongful Death for Ohio

Q: Is there any way to find out the results of a medical malpractice suit? My dad, who was suing is now deceased.

My dad passed away before the suit was settled. We were more concerned with him & the time we had left together and never asked for any details regarding the lawsuit. We never even asked who his attorney was.

After he passed my grdma told others about all the $ she was getting from his lawsuit but she has kept everything hidden from us (his children).

Is there any way we can find out if his case was settled?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: I'm sorry for the loss of your father. If you know nothing about the case, as in not knowing who the defendant was or who the attorney was, you could try the databases of the Ohio court system if you're fairly certain the case would have been litigated in Ohio. This is something an Ohio attorney would know best, but your question remains open for a week. If the matter was not placed into suit, meaning an index number was not generated, it could be difficult. If you have authority to obtain the medical records, those could shed light on information involving the medical malpractice action, as you could possibly find authorizations issued by an attorney's office requesting medical records that would have become part of the file. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.